Extra Hosting

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Data Repository (Web Site)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you see a use for your own hosting account?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Extra Hosting Reply with quote

I've been looking into upgrading the hosting on which this site (and all my others) reside, and I was hoping for some input.

The thing is, it may be possible for me to get my hands on a master hosting account that can be split up into several separate accounts with their own control panels and resources. This differs from the current arrangement, where I have one account and some of you just have FTP access to your own directories.

I know I can find a use for multiple sites on one account, but I don't know if it's worth the price. (It's not too expensive at all, but still...) So then, would any of you like your own accounts there?

You'd have them for free, or maybe for a teency charge like £1 per month depending on how many resources you need, but you'd have to abide by the host's terms of service - or else I'll be the one in trouble! Razz

Remember that the Glitch Society site will have support for hosting your images and rotators, so if that's all you need an account for, it won't be worth answering 'yes' to this question.
Ananova Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo sounds interesting.... though i can't think of a reason, so i'll have to pass ^^

"To live is to dream and to die is to awaken"
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bittype
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm sounds interesting. I know Rocky is hosting the singularity mainframe atm, and I have been thinking about getting my own account for it. But I would not be opposed to hosting it here instead.

One question.. If I were to buy an appropriate domain name would I be able to use that here?

Eminition whirled around and jammed his gun barrel right into Agamemnomn’s head: “This is for Bittype.” With a destructive blast, a merciless bullet tore through The Cypherite’s skull and brain.
Read the singularity logs in Chronological order here >>> Singularity Mainframe
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. They'd be full hosting accounts, just like ones you'd buy yourself. Only difference is that they're allocated by me. Wink But I can't see me placing any restrictions on their use beyond the host's terms and conditions.
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool sounds good. I'll hold off on buying an account until you decide if your going to upgrade or not.

Eminition whirled around and jammed his gun barrel right into Agamemnomn’s head: “This is for Bittype.” With a destructive blast, a merciless bullet tore through The Cypherite’s skull and brain.
d4sh
Faction Leader,
Antares Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want a proper personal website, rather than the blog I have now. I want loads of stuff on there, and not let it be some sort of hyves/facebook/multiply -thingy. So yeah, I'd be up for an account. Smile

"d4sh is half robot, half Dutch and half ninja." - M0RGAN | "Dashy is hardcore, he danced in the flames." - Gookin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Devaude
Antares First Mate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice offer, Proc. But tbh I have my own thingy including a domain and don't really use it :/

Conclusio: I don't need an account.

'Like... Dude... What the hell...' - d4sh
Bilquis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about making a site for my wedding. I figure it would help a lot with logistics since most guests are coming from overseas. Would this be something you could/want to host. It would probably only be up for a year, i might end up keeping it as a blog site.
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be fine. I don't mind what's hosted (again, as long as it's allowed by the terms & conditions), and I will always need a hosting account, so it doesn't matter how long you need yours for.

Oh, and something else: I'm sure you'll all understand, but from a legal perspective I won't accept responsibility for the continued use of the accounts. Wink If, say, the host decided to close down (Hah! Fat chance!), I'd be under no obligation to get a new account to support yours. That doesn't mean I'd neglect you; I've worked as a Web host before, and I would act professionally.
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee

No worries Proc.. I always keep both my sites backed up on the hard drive, usually back it up onto a portable media as well (Just in case I loose my hard drive - not that it has ever happened -- YEAH RIGHT! only twice so far lol)

Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is done.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Data Repository (Web Site) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: