Incorrectly Marked Read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Data Repository (Web Site)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FigmentOYI

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Incorrectly Marked Read Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but whenever I log off without having read every post, the system marks me as having read them all. It makes coming back and finding the ones I haven't yet read pretty time consuming (hence not much forum activity for me <sad>).

Anyone else have this?
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system doesn't record which posts everyone has read, not like the DN1 forums.

When someone logs in, the system looks for all posts that were made after the user was last active (ie last logged in). It encodes that data and sends it in a cookie to the user.

For as long as the current session exists, that cookie is sent with any request to the forum, and it tells the forum which posts to mark as unread.

When someone logs out (or they're inactive for a long enough period) that cookie becomes meaningless, and the forum has no way to work out which posts you've read or not.

(Why does it delete/ignore the cookie after you log out? Because it can't make the assumption that you're the only person viewing the forum from your computer.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Thanks, Proccie. I'll remember to read everything before I log out next time <grin>.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Data Repository (Web Site) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: