There Could be a Problem...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Anything
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, I'm at uni now and I've connected my PC to their network, so I'm back! Back on the forums, at least. As predicted, I can't access MxO at the moment because the ports are blocked, so I'm going to have to talk to the tech guys (called ITS here) as soon as I can and try to convince them to open them for me - though to be honest, I don't think they'll be very helpful. I've got a horrible feeling their helpdesk isn't open tomorrow, so I may have to wait until Monday before I can make any progress in this matter.

Until then, I'm working on my RP story (got a new chapter going up today, and another tomorrow), and I've got a lot of things to unpack. Perhaps somewhat predictably, the first and only thing I've unpacked is my computer. Wink
Lost soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh proc, I feel so bad for you,

http://mxoboards.station.sony.com/matrix/board/message?board.id=generalsyntax&message.id=2209
Antares First Mate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow amazing you all saw the assissin!
at which time happend this?

'Like... Dude... What the hell...' - d4sh
Campusanis
Aggregator Communications Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proc, did you get my beautiful crew pic and the bio? I finally got myself to finish it and now I want to see it on the site! Wink

Campusanis

And good luck by the way...
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got it, cheers. Wink I'll update the site as soon as I get the chance.
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've sent an e-mail to ITS stating my position and what I need. I really, honestly don't see any reason they should not open the ports for me, but there's a very high probability they'll be pig-headed about it and say 'no' out of principle or something.
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I've finally received a reply from them. It doesn't look as if they have a problem with opening the ports! In theory, anyway. They said they can't do it because they need a specific IP (ie mine) to open the ports for, and that the IP needs to be constant (which is obvious - I always knew this). The guy who replied, though, is claiming that my IP address is assigned randomly, so it wouldn't work. However, I know for a fact that it most certainly is not random! I've had the same address every time I've logged into the network since getting here, and we had static IPs last time I was connected to their network, two years ago. So I've e-mailed him back explaining this.

So with any luck I should be able to get on! Unless he made up the technical stuff to throw me off, and they actually do have a non-tecnical problem with the idea.
Lost soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your uber leet haxoring skillz to get in Razz

you do have uber leet haxoring skillz right?
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, absolutely. *Coughs.*

Razz
Lost soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he uses them whenever he laods proxy coder ... oh, wait, that's not real.

That's a no then Razz
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blast.

This morning I received a rather stupid reply from the ITS helpdesk, in response to my e-mail claiming my IP address was static: it was the first reply I received copied and pasted into place! Idiots. I figured my e-mail hadn't got through to the same guy, so I went over there myself.

He was unavailable when I got there, so I spoke to someone else. I explained my situation, and he said the IP addresses were dynamic, but it's quite probable I get the same one for a while, due to the lease. How did I forget about the lease system? Grr.

But that's not the main problem; I'm sure I could persuade them to set me up with a static IP. The problem is that the dude said that opening ports for non-academic purposes was against university policy. I figured it might be against ITS policy, and was prepared to fight them about it, but I never thought it would be university policy!

I'm going to argue this one out, try to convince them to allow MMORPGs on their network. But I have to talk to the 'computer rep' for my college, who will in turn bring it up at the next university committee meeting. In short: I really don't think I'll be playing MxO this term. Sad Maybe next term, so I won't have to take such a long break again, but not for the next ten weeks or so.

However, I intend to retain my position as Captain of the HvCFT Aggregator! Razz In RP-terms, Procurator is currently missing in action, presumed captured by a Merovingian hovercraft crew, and Campusanis is Acting Captain. So Camp, you've got to recruit anyone d4sh assigns to us. Wink I'll send you details on the sort of stuff you should tell them and ask them. In RL-terms, I'm still very much here, and will continue to participate in these forums and update the site.
Lost soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame proc, the place won't seem the same without you. I hope York does better for me than your Uni does Razz
TheTaxidermist
Lost soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im screwed for life, since I havent gone into further education Razz
Faction Leader,
Antares Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*starts to really consider getting a friggin windows laptop to run the game in class*

"d4sh is half robot, half Dutch and half ninja." - M0RGAN | "Dashy is hardcore, he danced in the flames." - Gookin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
RockyB
Lost soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L
M
A
O

Good going d4sh Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Anything All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: