Pix’s moderately interesting post on IT stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Anything
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixelmad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Pix’s moderately interesting post on IT stuff Reply with quote

Well since I got such incredible feedback, with insightful commentary by many faction members, in my last post I thought I’d try something a bit more structured. Each day I hope to post a couple of articles I found interesting from the weird and wacky world of IT. I did think about doing it for Corporate Strategy but realised you might not be able to contain yourselves.

/sarcasmoff

So with out further delay….

Isn’t this exciting boys and girls?

*rups hands together like a demented Willy Wonka on speed*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today’s post is about Privacy and the lack there of in the world of the Interweb!

Google + Facebook + alcohol = trouble
Students and employees alike are learning the hard way that online privacy isn't quite as private as they might want.
Doh!

Google stonewalls the government on privacy case
The US Government, seeking to reinstate an overturned child protection law, has requested wide-ranging confidential search records from Google. What are the real ramifications?
Goggles

Apple now notifies iTunes 6.0.2 users about MiniStore connection
Many cried foul last week when it was discovered that iTunes 6.0.2 was sending information to Apple without the users' knowledge or consent. Apple has made a change, and iTunes now dutifully asks for permission.
Bannana’s

Lost soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wall haxing sons of bitches ~Sad
Nightgaze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite scary to think about who may be watching us when we surf the net and what information they gather on us. It's all very 1984.
pixelmad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=Nightgaze]It's quite scary to think about who may be watching us when we surf the net and what information they gather on us. It's all very 1984.[/quote]

Indeed it is Night, thats why none of you should fly (or surf) with out your friendly PeerGuardian loaded.

Sit in shock and horror as you watch how many goverment agencies/universities and others seem to be interested in your online activities. Watch in shear amazement as it blocks '000s of inbound IP snooping every hour. And then sit back and smile as you realise you are now blocking all those requests Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today's post is about the latest storage wars, i.e. HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. Remember Betamax vs VHS?

Sony will release Blu-Ray PC in March
The first Blu-Ray drives are coming into the UK - but only in PCs. Sony have plans to start adoption early - but will they get the rest of the machine appropriately decked out?

HD-DVD for Xbox 360 confirmed
Head of Microsoft's Xbox 360 unit, Peter Moore, has announced that the company will ship an external drive for the machine that will enable HD-DVD playback

Samsung Completes Blu-ray Drive Development
Samsung says we will see Blu-ray devices from them very soon

*place chosen picture here* !lol
Adult industry leader goes with Blu-Ray
Digital Playground, the leading creator of High Definition content for the adult market, has announced its support for Blu-Ray.

HD DVD and Blu-ray content to be degraded for analog displays
The backers of HD DVD and Blu-ray have placed another obstacle in the path of consumers as they decide which (if either) next-generation optical format to adopt.

This is an old article but interesting nonetheless as it talks about the one key issue, for me anyway, which is copy control. HD-DVD specs force the producers to allow for atleast one copy to be made by the end user while Blu-Ray leave it as an option for the producer.
Microsoft, Intel support HD DVD, citing managed copy and better backwards compatibility
Microsoft and Intel noted several "requirements" that they feel HD DVD meets. "Managed Copy," for instance, will allow users to make copies of HD DVD discs for personal use.

And to follow-up on my last post
Google Resists Subpoena
Fair play to Google

And lastly for anyone in the market for a new Graphics Card

Leadtek PX6800 GS Extreme
Didn't receive that 7800 GTX for Christmas? If your games need a New Year speed boost and you're spending your own cash, Leadtek have an overclocked 6800 GS that's worth a look. The PX6800 GS is just £165.
The nice thing about the nVidia 6800GS is its still available on AGP for those a little behind the tech curve Very Happy

Last edited by pixelmad on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Anything All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: