problems with upgrade
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Tech Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bittype
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: problems with upgrade Reply with quote

I seem to be having a little problem upgrading my system.

Got all the parts installed but it refuses to boot the hard drive telling me there is an fault or corrupt drive.
I have done everything I can think of short of buying a new drive which is not possiable at this time. Since I don't have an XP disc anymo0re I can't even reinstall over the top. and Win ME will NOT overwrite XP..

I can put the old board back in which leaves me with a uselss 1gig memory, and 1.6 gig processor. and puts me back to not being able to do anything..

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the damn thing to boot without and XP disc.. Or is there a way I can boot to dos and use the system comands from there to format the drives and instal ME?

Eminition whirled around and jammed his gun barrel right into Agamemnomn’s head: “This is for Bittype.” With a destructive blast, a merciless bullet tore through The Cypherite’s skull and brain.
Read the singularity logs in Chronological order here >>> Singularity Mainframe
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not concerned with wiping that harddrive, then your only option is to format the drive completely. There are a number of tools that'll let you do that, and they can be bunged on a floppy disk and loaded from boot-up. So if you've got a floppy drive on the computer you're posting from, Google for such a tool, download it, bung it on the floppy disk, and away you go!

Eventually, though, you are gonna need an XP CD. Sooner rather later. Of course, once you've got at least ME installed, a number of options are open to you. Wink
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok most of my files are on a second drive anyway, and I do have an old floppy drive I can instal.. I just don't know if it works :p

I'll give it a go assuming I can find the appropriate proggy to allow a format.

Eminition whirled around and jammed his gun barrel right into Agamemnomn’s head: “This is for Bittype.” With a destructive blast, a merciless bullet tore through The Cypherite’s skull and brain.
Campusanis
Aggregator Communications Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you wrote it said something like "corrupt drive", I thought it was telling you this in the BIOS.
If that's what happened, then it's the same thing that happened to me a few weeks ago. One of my personal nightmares: like, 10 gigs of data gone for good due to a hardware error of the drive.
If you're able to save the files you need, you're really well off, I can tell ya. Confused
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try a data recovery service, Camp, though I daren't guess what that would cost. I'm hardly up to scratch with the physical configuration of a harddrive, but I'm pretty sure the data could still be there, and that it's just the boot sector that needs to go wrong for the drive to be considered 'corrupt'. A data recovery service can probably access a harddrive without needing to go through the corrupt bit.
Antares First Mate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Procurator wrote:
You might want to try a data recovery service, Camp, though I daren't guess what that would cost. I'm hardly up to scratch with the physical configuration of a harddrive, but I'm pretty sure the data could still be there, and that it's just the boot sector that needs to go wrong for the drive to be considered 'corrupt'. A data recovery service can probably access a harddrive without needing to go through the corrupt bit.

I don't think the data is worth the cost of such a service. Razz

But there is also some software out there, with which you try to access the missing data.

'Like... Dude... What the hell...' - d4sh
Bittype
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I managed to format the drive.. But I am screwed.... I can't seem to get a clean install of ME so my disk is obviously corrupt.

My sister has EP but I have never known ANYONE as untidy as her and she has lost it :/

Can't do much with this old laptop.. it is full of bugs and I don't have the recovery disks anymore. I dare not use it to log on to my bank to bay bills.

[EDIT]

Well I know I am going to regret spending the extra money.. Just ordered a new XP CD. So unless something ELSE goes wrong I will be back up and running in a couple more days.

[/EDIT]

Gookin
Aggregator First Mate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know me pop has some data recovery software. I'll try and get the name for you Camp.

You always say just what everyone else is thinking don't you? - Pixelmad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Campusanis
Aggregator Communications Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is: How can I use data recovery software, if the ddrive is not even recognized?
Procurator
Chief Archivist,
Aggregator Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought such low-level programming would skip the operating system entirely and look for the drive itself. It's physically present, so as long as the drive is able to accept read/write commands, the software should be able to control it manually.

That's just a guess, actually.
Aggregator First Mate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mhmm

You always say just what everyone else is thinking don't you? - Pixelmad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bittype
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I seem to have managed to drop the cpu temp 3-4 C so it is now hovering around 44 - 45C with the case open.. Unless anyone has any other ideas it will have to stay like that til I can clear enough money off my credit card to get a system fan or 2.

Changing the MHz on the motherboard to 166 failed the system refused to boot.. However I did notice that I had left a Jumper on the connector for 100MHz so I think the system was getting confused with a jumper on 100 MHz and 133 MHz. Anyway now only on 133Mhz and the bios is also set to 133MHz again any higher and the system refused to start.

I am going to possition my fan so that it is blowing behind the machine hopefully the cooler air blowing past the vent will help.. If not I am going to have to point it driectly at the open case.

Ok one other thing... I remember there being something stuck to the base of the cpu fan. As I said I put this damn thing together with little or no instructions.. Anyway what ever it was stuck to the fan was slightly sticky and with nothing telling me otherwise I assumed it was some sort of adheasive.

Please dont piss me off and tell me I have fucked the system by failing to remove this... whatever the fuck it was on the base of the fan...
I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN if you do :p

Devaude
Antares First Mate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pad at the bottom of the cpu cooler transports the heat from the cpu-core to the cooler.

Here is the german wiki entry http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%A4rmeleitpad Razz

Bittype
Singularity Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I can't read german.. But I assume I didn't fuck up then.

Devaude
Antares First Mate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bittype wrote:
Ok well I can't read german.. But I assume I didn't fuck up then.

In easy words: If you had removed that thingy, you would have fucked everything up Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Glitch Society Forum Index -> Off-Topic -> Tech Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: